Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Another introduction

Hello! I wanted to drop in and introduce myself, as I'll be blogging along with "MLSing DE Style." We're in the Fantastic Fourth DE cohort together and even though we live across the country from each other, I know her voice in an instant (and she probably recognizes mine). People have asked how it's possible to feel connected to a group of 40 strangers who live all over the country (and, in some cases, the world) and my response is simple. It's not always easy, but it works because we all work at it.

Our trip together began last summer with 4 intense days of orientation. It's amazing what a lot of togetherness can do for group cohesion. We are a diverse group, not just geographically, but politically, racially, life-styley (like the made-up word?) and that makes not only the world an interesting place, but the cohort, too. Not being together, physically, can make communication difficult -- the missing physical cues, the ease of talking, looking into each eyes -- all missing. And yet, we do it. It may take more work, but we do it and I'd say we're successful at it.

MLSing talked a bit about why she decided to try out the DE lifestyle. Like I said, we're a diverse group and we all have different stories. Mine involves young children and a propensity to move quite frequently, with no real part to play in that decision-making process. To feel assured I'd live in one place long enough to start and complete a degree just wasn't in the cards for me. Along with that, I earned my undergraduate degree at a huge public university where I was a number among many others and I wanted a different experience for my graduate work.

So to have this experience, where I feel so connected to a group of classmates and I know I can complete my coursework no matter where I'm living is a true gift. As crazy as I feel in the middle of it all when it feels like things are falling all around me, I cherish every moment of it, because I know this is a special time, populated by special people and it won't last for ever.

No comments: