Thursday, February 19, 2009

To blog or not to blog...

I suppose that is the question. It was interesting to notice two sides of the same coin coming through the SLIS listserv in a week's time. The first article was entitled "Bloggers Need Not Apply (http://chronicle.com/jobs/news/2005/07/2005070801c.htm) and the title really rankled me. As it turns out, so did the article. Although I am firmly in the camp of being cautious with what you put out in the universe, I found the article, overall, had more than a hint of hysteria and, well, fuddidudiness. It seemed to be an old-fashioned way of thinking, in that it focused not so much on inappropriate behavior of any kind, but on scary technology that keeps things around for much longer than their natural lives warrant. Really, I felt like the article should compare the stupid things people put out there about their lives (rockin' party dude. I was like so totally wasted) to someone walking into an interview dressed in a provocative and inappropriate manner.

On the other hand, a week later, this article appeared on the listserv: http://webpages.mcgill.ca/students/ssever1/web/lavender.html This article was written by an MLIS student who decided to take up the "pen" and begin his own biblioblog after attending a conference session called "Blogging for Professional Development," presented by John Dupuis. This article's tone was much more optimistic and not full of "technology's gonna getcha" gloom and doom. I felt the author (Graham Lavender) presented a good argument for why MLIS students should blog. As a matter of fact, it was reading that article that made me jump in here.

So, I know MLIS students aren't an opinionated lot (sarcasm is _so_ hard to convey in this setting), but if you have something to say about blogging, I'd love to hear about it. Just watch your language. You never know when a prospective employer may find it.

No comments: